Smith, Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Recovery – Update #31
Posted: December 8, 2006
The project to improve the lighting
at the Student Parking lots on the downtown campus
is almost complete. All of the new light poles bases
have been poured and finished. The new light poles
have been installed and the all of the new fixtures
have been mounted and the electrical connections
have been made in Lot #2. The installation of the
new fixtures is underway in Lot #3. Completion of
the work is expected within a few days.
The building located at 1542 Tulane
Ave. was constructed over a period of many years;
the original structure was built in the early 1930’s
and there are two separate additions that were
constructed at different times many years apart.
This fact, in addition to the lack of "as built"
drawings for the building, poses a unique set of
challenges in identifying and completing all the
temporary repairs necessary to reoccupy the upper
floors. It was recently discovered that the latest
building addition received its electrical power
through a separate switch gear located on an upper
floor, and the necessary electrical feed had not
been repaired. An additional transformer is being
installed and the feed repaired so that this final
portion of the building will have electrical power
restored. Repairs to elevators in the building have
begun. The testing of repaired plumbing systems is
progressing and leaks are being repaired as they are
found. Some additional repair needs have been
identified and change orders are being developed at
Both of the temporary chillers
serving the Dental School Clinic and Administration
Buildings are now operational. LSUHSC Facilities
personnel are manning watches at the facility and
providing basic operational support for the major
building systems. The dehumidifiers have been
installed and are operating. The contractor has
completed the inspection and cleaning of the air
handling units throughout the buildings. They have
made necessary adjustments and repairs; a number of
thermostats have been also been replaced throughout
the buildings. The recent emphasis on completing the
scope alignment process has resulted in the
architects and engineers having completed their
initial review and analysis of all of the Project
Worksheets written for the Dental School campus.
FEMA has recently returned their comments and they
are making site visits as needed.
Here are highlights of work that has
been accomplished since our last update was posted
two weeks ago.
Project to Make Temporary Repairs to
1542 Tulane Ave.:
- Plumbing systems are being tested.
- A drain line elbow on the 3rd
floor of 1542 Tulane Ave. broke and leaked
water into Room 241. Repairs have been
- A leak was discovered in the A section
pipe chase and it is believed to be the
domestic water line. The contractor is
- A leak was discovered on an upper floor
at an air coil unit. The pipe is being
capped off, as the location of the leak is
difficult to reach.
- The contractor was on site for half a day
reviewing the change order work that remains to
- The engineers and the mechanical
sub-contractor reviewed the gas piping in
the basement to plan for the removal of all
piping that is no longer in service.
- The elevator contractor is working on
repairs to the freight elevator.
- The technician has it moving, although
it is not ready to operate at this time.
- The contractor continued making
adjustments/repairs to the temporary switch gear
in the basement.
- The old switchgear has been removed from
- The contractor is preparing to install a
13.8kw transformer to supply the 2nd
switchgear located on an upper floor.
- A transfer switch located on the 4th
floor may also warrant repair to allow the
13.8kw feed to be switched in the event that
a feed was lost.
- The design team engineers walked the
building to locate all of the air handling
units, the rooms with faucets, and all of the
bathrooms to determine what repair work may
remain to be completed.
- The contractor is removing old, flood
damaged equipment from the basement.
Project to Make Temporary Repairs to
the Dental School:
- The second of the two temporary chillers at
the Dental School has been started up by the
- The system to inject the chemical
treatments into the chiller water must still
be installed. Initial quantities of
treatment chemicals have been provided to
the sub-contractor to allow the chillers to
- Training of the LSUHSC Facility Services
staff in the operations of the new units has
not yet been provided and the provision of
the factory operational manuals is still
- The contractor has completed the
installation of pipe supports, braces and
brackets for the additional pipe that was
installed for the new temporary chillers.
- The contractor also started the water
coolers for the two medical air compressors
in the Power Plant.
- The contractor removed all of the old copper
lines supplying the medical gases, the
compressed air, and the vacuum lines on the 1st
floor of the Clinical Building, in the Oral
- The air handling units located on the south
side of the Dental School Clinic building are
not currently operating in automatic mode.
- An electrical problem at the control
panels is suspected and the contractor is
- The sub-contractor completed the repair
and/or installation of most of the thermostats
in the Clinic and Administration Buildings.
- The elevator contractor installed the doors
to the freight elevator in the basement.
- Cingular removed all of their cellular
telephone equipment (antenna, etc.) from the
roof of the Clinic Building. They have decided
not to repair the equipment or use this site at
- This equipment relates to a prior
contractual agreement with Cingular and does
not impact on the provision of telephone
service at the Dental School.
- LSUHSC Facility Services employees removed
all of the mold damaged chairs from the Dental
School Clinic and Administration buildings under
the direction of our environmental consultant.
- Photographs were taken and all of the
chairs were inventoried as they were removed
and disposed of.
- The FEMA Health & Research team visited the
Dental School campus to evaluate the
Administration Building to examine the ceilings
and to assess the plumbing in the cafeteria
area. They also reviewed some of the buildings
on the back campus. These assessments are part
of the ongoing scope alignment process.
Project to Provide New Lighting for
the Student Parking Lots:
- The concrete forms were removed from the
light pole bases in Student Parking Lot #2. The
contractor finished the surfaces of the bases
with sand mix and has painted them Safety
- The new light poles have all been
- The new light fixtures have been
installed and wired.
- Minor fence work and clean up at Lot #2
is all that remains to be done.
- At Student Lot #3, the fencing at the
parking lot entrance was reinstalled.
- The new lighting fixtures are being
installed and wired.
- The work should be completed within the
next few days.
- The interior surfaces of the elevators at
the CSRB and the Entergy Garage were damaged by
the flood waters. This damage did not present a
safety issue, so the repairs were not made a
high priority with the contractor.
- The repair work to the elevator cabs has
now been completed.
- Representatives from the State’s excess
insurance carriers completed their inspections
of the downtown campus buildings and the Dental
School campus buildings.
We encourage you to follow the
details of our progress through the daily updates
which are posted on the web site.