Smith, Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Recovery – Update #56
Posted: November 26, 2007
The bids for the permanent repairs and 406 Hazard
Mitigation at the Lions/LSU Clinic Building have
been advertised. A mandatory pre-bid conference is
scheduled November 29th and bids are due
to be received and opened on December 5th.
We are hopeful that this will allow a contractor to
be selected and the actual work to begin in early 2008.
FEMA continues to work on completing the versions
to the Project Worksheets for the 406 Hazard
Mitigation proposals and permanent repairs to the
Residence Hall (est. $2.7 M), the Allied
Health/Nursing Building (est. $4.2 M) , and the
Resource Center (est. $4.5 M). The Health and
Research team recently met with the architects to
address a few outstanding questions, and they
indicated that they were already working on drafts
of the PW versions for these three buildings. The
architects and engineers have begun developing the
construction and bid (CD) documents, and we
anticipate that these three projects will receive
FEMA approval relatively quickly.
GOHSEP and FEMA are currently reviewing the joint
design concept (schematic design level) for the
permanent repairs and Section 406 Hazard Mitigation
at the MEB and the CSRB. This proposal is
particularly complex and sophisticated. It involves
the construction of a full building height addition
on the rear of the CSRB where the animal care
functions previously located on the 1st
floors of the MEB and the CSRB will be elevated. A
new elevated cross walk is planned between the MEB
and the CSRB for the transportation of research
animals between the MEB labs and the relocated
animal care facilities. The addition will allow for
critical mechanical, electrical and plumbing
equipment to be elevated above the 1st
floor of the CSRB and the addition of a bank of
emergency generators to provide limited power to the
surrounding campus buildings in the case of another
emergency. Critical mechanical, electrical and
plumbing equipment will also be raised within the
MEB. The Office of Facility Planning and Control has
agreed to place this project on their "Top 10" list
so that it will receive special attention from FEMA,
GOSHEP and Facility Planning.
The project to replace the roof of the MEB ($1.6
M) is just getting underway as the equipment is
being shipped into the city and located on campus.
The contract for replacing the roofs of the three
main Dental School buildings ($1.3 M) is being
awarded, and we hope that work can begin prior to
the Christmas holidays.
A contract has been awarded to construct a
temporary bookstore facility in the Dental School
Administration Building. This facility will provide
support for the important clinical and educational
missions of the School normally offered by Auxiliary
Enterprises at the campus. The temporary facility
will be constructed in a portion of the existing
Library space that has been made available for this
The final remediation and duct cleaning project
is underway at 1542 Tulane Ave. Zimmer-Eschette was
awarded the contract and mobilized their work force
immediately. The faculty and staff that had been
housed in the building prior to the storm have been
asked to clear out their offices and remove personal
effects in preparation for the final cleaning of the
building. This work has been underway for some time
and is nearly complete. Zimmer has removed the
majority of the trash that was bagged by the faculty
and they have already begun the duct cleaning on the
1st floor. From there they will move to
the 8th Floor and work down the building.
Here are highlights of work that has been
accomplished since our last update was posted two
Lions/LSU Clinic Building Permanent Repairs & 406
- The Office of Facility Planning and Control
advertised the bids for the contract on November
21, 2007. The ads will run again on November 28,
- The pre-bid conference is scheduled for
November 29, 2007.
- Bids are scheduled to be opened on December
Project to Make Temporary Repairs to 1542 Tulane
- Fire Alarm System:
- Fire alarm speakers and strobes have
been installed on Floors 9 and 10.
- Siemens is pulling wires on the 9th
- Elevator Repairs:
- The contractor is changing the governor
cables for Elevator #8.
- The contractor installed the car
operator panel (COP).
- The new rollers have been installed.
- New cab fixtures are being
- The contractor powered-up the controller
for Elevator #7.
- They have installed the new elevator
- The cab for Elevator #7 is being
- The platform and cab walls have been
- Final Remediation and Duct Cleaning:
- The faculty and staff that had been
housed in the building prior to the storm
have been asked to clear out their offices
and remove personal effects in preparation
for the final cleaning of the building. This
work has been underway for some time and is
- All of the trash to be disposed of
has been bagged and left in the
- Zimmer-Eschette was awarded the contract
for the final remediation, duct cleaning and
paint removal contract.
- They have mobilized equipment and
workers to the work site.
- They have set up negative-air
machines, dehumidifiers, and containment
- Zimmer has removed the trash and
building debris on Floors 1 and 8.
- The set up for the duct cleaning has
been completed on the 1st
Floor and the duct cleaning has begun.
- The contractor is also preparing for
the duct cleaning on the 8th floor.
- Painting: The extended exposure to heat and
humidity caused significant amounts of paint to
peel off the walls and ceilings in a variety of
locations throughout the building. A painting
contract has begun work to remove the peeling
paint and to patch and prepare the surfaces
within the building stairwells for repainting.
(The balance of the paint removal and repainting
will be done as part of the remediation and duct
- Stairwells C and D:
- All of the work has been completed.
- Stairwell B:
- The painting contractor has floated
the walls on Floors 1 through 8.
- All of the sanding has been
completed on all floors.
- The painting contractor has finished
priming the walls and handrails on all
- The cove base has been removed from
- Stairwell A:
- The contractor has removed the
peeling paint on Floors 1 through 8.
- The contractor has completed
floating the walls on all floors.
- The floated walls have been sanded
on Floors 3 through 8.
- American Sprinkler replaced a defective
coupling on the fire pump assembly.
- Pipe insulators are on site insulating
the steam lines in the basement.
- American Sprinkler repaired a leak and
replaced damaged pipe on the fire pump
- Jefferson Sprinkler delivered the
rebuilt fire pump motor to the site.
- Arc Mechanical installed differential
pressure switches and gauges for the heating
hot water pumps.
- Arc mounted the fire pump motor and
capped the Entergy Steam Assembly.
Project to Make Temporary Repairs to the Dental
- 1st Floor Clinic Building Projects:
- The temporary wall separating the 1st
Floor lobby spaces in the Clinic Building
has been removed.
- The reception desk has been installed;
completing the installation of the lobby
- The contractor is awaiting the material
to wrap the columns behind the curved wall
and two light fixtures that will hang
through the curvature ceiling.
- The first floor of the Dental School
Clinic Building was closed to foot traffic
from 6:00 AM on Saturday, November 17th
until 6:00 AM on Monday, November 19th
to allow the contractor to refinish the
- The contractor has completed the
- Landis performed some corrective work
such as adjusting door hardware and door
- They touched up the walls and fur
downs in the lobby.
- They also stained and performed
corrective work on the doors.
- Landis installed a ceiling access panel
for the drywall ceiling in the lobby.
- 2nd Floor Conference Room Administration
- The 2 x 4 light fixtures and the supply
grilles have been installed.
- The contractors have connected the new
supply air ducts to the mixing dampers.
- Landis re-floated the walls in the
conference room to eliminate the waviness in
- They completed re-finishing the
walls; sanding and painting the spots
that required touch-up.
- The flooring contractor began installing
the new cove base.
- Intrepid Stone finished replacing the
stone pavers on the walkway near the side
entrance to the Clinic Building and on the
Moss Street side of the Administration
- They have also replaced the damaged
stone wall cladding on the 7th Floor of
the Clinic Building at the elevator
- Houston Engineering completed the soil
boring to acquire soil samples at the
proposed site for an annex to the Clinic
- The annex will be a key component of
the permanent repairs and Section 406
Hazard Mitigation proposal that will
address the Clinic Building, the
Administration Building and the Power
Downtown Campus Landscaping Project:
- The final preparations for installing sod on
the Gravier St. side of the Allied
Health/Nursing Building and on the Bolivar St.
side of the Allied Health/Nursing Building and
the MEB were completed.
- Crews installed centipede sod on the
Gravier St. and Bolivar St. sides of the
Allied Health/Nursing Building.
- They installed sod on the Bolivar St.
side of the MEB.
- Crews installed the remaining 1/2 pallet
of sod on the S. Roman St. side of the
Allied Health/Nursing Building.
- New top soil has been added to the planting
beds on the S. Roman St. side of the Allied
- The final grading of the beds has been
- Crews planted all of the new Savannah
holly trees and shrubs in the planting beds.
- Zimmer continues to work on completing their
punch list items.
- Mosaic tiles are being installed on the four
- Advanced Millworks continue to work on the
booths on the elevated deck.
- The project was substantially completed as
- The contractor is working on completing the
remaining punch list items.
- A training session on operation and
maintenance of the controllers and the
condensing units was given to the engineers on
Exterior Lighting Project:
- New exterior lights have been installed on
the Bolivar side of the MEB and the new lights
are being installed on the Roman St. side of the
We encourage you to follow the details of our
progress through the daily updates which are posted
on the web site.