Smith, Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Recovery – Update #57
Posted: December 7, 2007
The final remediation and
duct cleaning project is progressing well at 1542
Tulane Ave.. Much of the duct cleaning has already
been completed and test samples have been taken.
Significant amounts of debris have been removed from
all floors of the building. Damaged carpet is being
removed from several areas throughout the building.
The final cleaning and the removal of peeling paint
is underway and has been substantially completed on
the 1st and 8th floors.
Repairs on the elevators in the building continue.
The risers that carry chilled water to upper floors
of the building have been pressurized and
The project to replace the
roof of the MEB is underway. The construction
trailer is on site, materials are being delivered to
the site and crews have begun removing the gravel
that covered the old roof. The roof replacement at
the Dental School is expected to begin shortly.
The bids for the permanent
repairs and 406 Hazard Mitigation at the Lions/LSU
Clinic Building have been advertised. A
non-mandatory pre-bid conference was held on
November 29th. The bid date was pushed
back one week to provide potential bidders
additional time to prepare their submissions. Bids
are now due to be received and opened on December
12th. We remain optimistic that this will allow a
contractor to be selected and the actual work to
begin in early 2008.
Work on the construction
of a temporary bookstore facility in the Dental
School Administration Building is expected to begin
next Monday. This facility will provide support for
the important clinical and educational missions of
the School normally offered by Auxiliary Enterprises
at the campus. The temporary facility will be
constructed in a portion of the existing Library
space that has been made available for this purpose.
The architects working on
the Dental School projects have completed two sets
of interviews with representatives of the School of
Dentistry. These interviews are to provide needed
information to allow the architects to complete the
design concept for the permanent repair and 406
hazard mitigation proposal. Interviews with
representatives of Animal Care will be completed
next week. This should allow the architects to
complete the work on the design concept so that it
can be submitted to FEMA and GOHSEP for their
initial consideration in January, 2008. If the
concept is received favorably, the architects will
proceed to the Design/Development phase of this
FEMA is still working to
complete their review of the Design/Development
submissions for permanent repairs and 406 hazard
mitigation for the Allied Health/Nursing Building,
the Residence Hall, and the Resource Center. There
are a few outstanding issues that the architects are
addressing that will allow the reviews to be
completed. We have also just submitted five
additional design concepts for permanent repairs and
406 hazard mitigation to FEMA, following their
initial review by GOHSEP. The five concepts address
1542 Tulane Ave., the District Entergy Garage, the
Roman Street Garage, the Central Utility Plant, and
the Walk to Wellness. GarageG
Here are highlights of
work that has been accomplished since our last
update was posted two weeks ago.
Lions/LSU Clinic Building
Permanent Repairs & 406 Hazard Mitigation:
- The Office of Facility Planning and Control
advertised the bids for the contract on November
21, 2007 and again on November 28, 2007.
- The pre-bid conference was held on November
29, 2007 and drew significant interest from
- The bid opening date was pushed back a week
to December 12, 2007 to give contractors more
time to prepare their bids.
MEB Permanent Roof
- The contractor is on site and has set up the
construction trailer and taken delivery of the
initial supplies needed to complete the work.
- The pre-construction meeting was held on
- The initial crews are on site and have begun
to remove the gravel that was covering the old
Project to Make Temporary
Repairs to 1542 Tulane Ave.:
- Fire Alarm System:
- Siemens finished installing the new
wiring and fire alarm devices in mechanical
and animal care rooms on the roof.
- They have removed the old wiring on
- New smoke/fire detectors are being
installed in the ducts in these rooms.
- Elevator Repairs:
- Stratos Elevator has changed the
governor sheaves and governor cables for
- The new hoist cable has been
installed on Elevator #8.
- Stratos installed the new platform for
- A new hoist cable is being installed
on Elevators #7.
- The contractor has replaced the hoist
cable on Elevator #2.
- Stratos resumed work on Elevator #1.
- They are welding the elevator frame.
- They built the platform for Elevator
#1 for debris removal
- The contractor is cutting out
damaged materials from Elevator #1.
- Final Remediation and Duct Cleaning:
- The ducts on Floors 1, 6, 7, 8, and the
mechanical & animal care rooms on the roof
have been cleaned.
- They have all passed the visual
inspection and samples have been taken.
- Zimmer is completing the cleaning of
the ducts on the 4th and 5th Floors.
- Carpet that is damaged and contains mold
is being removed throughout the building.
- Zimmer removed the damaged carpet on
the 1st, 6th, 7th and 8th Floors.
- Carpet is being removed from the 4th
and 5th Floors.
- The contractor is removing debris from
throughout the building.
- Debris has been removed from the
1st, 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th Floors.
- Debris removal is underway on the
- Zimmer is responsible for the final wipe
down, cleaning and paint removal in all
areas of the building other than the
- They have removed the peeling paint
and cleaned Suite 123 on the 1st floor.
- The contractor finished cleaning and
paint removal in Suite 122.
- Zimmer has finished cleaning the
main hall on the 1st floor.
- The contractor has finished cleaning
the 8th floor and is ready for a visual
- After inspection, air samples
will be taken.
- The contractor is also preparing the
7th floor for cleaning.
- AEC is sampling the 1st
floor center hall for mold and 4 rooms
for lead paint.
- Sample Results:
- Duct sample results for Floors 1 and
8 passed clearance, except one duct on
the 8th floor that the contractor is
- Suite 122 air sample results passed
- One area in Suite 123 did not pass
air clearance and is being re-cleaned
- The contractor has removed the ceiling
tile on the 7th floor and is moving the crew
to the 6th floor.
- Ordes Electric removed the electronic
controls for the surge tank.
- Ordes rerouted the electrical wiring for
sump pump C to make the adjacent piping
- Ordes Electric installed the wiring for
the heating hot water pressure differential
- The contractor also installed the
control box for the soft water system.
- Arc Mechanical is installing pressure
gauges on the soft water system.
- They are installing new pressure
gauges on the Entery Thermal steam pipe
- Ordes Electric continues to install
components of the PLC which control the
Entergy Transfer Station.
- The test of the building fire pump was
- The chilled water risers that service
the portion of the building that will be
reoccupied initially have been pressurized
and tested. No leaks or failures have
Project to Make Temporary
Repairs to the Dental School:
- 1st Floor Clinic Building Projects:
- Landis completed their touch-up the
sheetrock walls, fur downs, and ceilings on
the 1st Floor of the Clinic
- Siemens changed the damaged thermostat
in the Central Supply area.
- LSUHSC Facility Services stripped and
waxed the terrazzo floors on the 1st
Floor of the Clinic Building.
- The wall base material for the first
floor lobby arrived and was installed.
- The material to be used to wrap the
lobby column was delivered and the
contractors finished the installation.
- 2nd Floor Conference Room Administration
- Siemens connecting the controls for the
damper controlling the 2nd Floor
conference room area in the Administration
- Landis completed refinishing the
walls that required touch-up.
- The linear diffusers are installed.
- The thermostat has been installed.
- Landis started working on the punch list
items and the final cleaning of the
- Elevator Repairs:
- Elevators #6 and #7 in the
Administration Building have been inspected
and certified for normal use.
- Schindler completed the repairs to
the dispatchers for these elevators.
- The old carpeting was removed and
new carpet installed in both elevators.
- The hoist way wires were removed from
Elevators # 3 and #4.
- The cables for the new hoist ways
have also been pulled.
- Schindler installed the top and
bottom limiters for both elevators.
- The new car station is being
installed in Elevator #3.
- The Elevator # 8 front finishes
including the doors and stainless steel
panels were removed to prepare for the
- Schindler is working on the installation
of the interior for Elevator Car #4.
- They also wired the car station and
re-ran the travel cables for the
- Hatch wires are being installed.
- Zimmer moved the flood wall panel along
the top of the loading dock ramp back in
line. This panel had been forced out of
place by the pressure of the flood waters.
- They installed the eye bolts that
will hold the strap to secure the panel
in place until the permanent repairs are
- They painted the previously
installed cinder block sections of the
wall with a block filler/primer.
- The reinforcing straps have been
- Crews cleaned, repaired and mulched the
planting beds on the S. Prieur St. and Gravier
St. side of the Lions/LSU Clinic Building.
- They mulched the Algerian ivy beds on the
Bolivar St. side of the Allied Health/Nursing
- The crews installed garden edging and
mulched the new plant beds on the S. Roman St.
side of the Allied Health/Nursing Building.
- Crews completed the installation of the
remaining irrigation system components on the S.
Roman St. side of the Allied Health/Nursing
- The old vegetation along the S. Roman St.
side of the MEB at the entrance to the service
area has been removed.
- Crews completed trenching for the piping
that will support two of the three irrigation
stations on the S. Roman St. side of the MEB at
the entrance/exit to the loading dock area.
- Crews started the installation of irrigation
piping on the S. Roman St. side of the MEB at
the entrance/exit of the loading dock/service
Exterior Lighting Project:
- The contractor has finished the work on the
lights at the loading dock and under the patio
on the Bolivar St. and Perdido St. side of the
- All of the other new lights are
- Work is underway on the project to replace
the bollard lights on the downtown campus. The
bollard lights are the cylindrical lights that
line the sidewalks. Many have not been
- The bollard lights around the MEB have
Ordes is working on the lights around the Allied
We encourage you to follow the
details of our progress through the daily updates
which are posted on the web site.