Smith, Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Recovery – Update #72
Posted: July 3, 2008
The FEMA Health & Research team
recently presented us with copies of formal Section
406 Hazard Mitigation proposals that they prepared
based on the Design Development packages and Design
Concepts that we had submitted over the past 8
months. The formal proposals contain much of what we
had initially requested and recommended for the
- Allied Health/Nursing
- Residence Hall
- Resource Center
- 1542 Tulane
- Central Utility Plant
- Dental Clinic Building Annex
- Roman St. Garage
- District Energy Garage
- Walk to Wellness
All of these proposals must now
undergo the internal FEMA reviews and evaluations,
so final eligibility of the proposals has not yet
been established. We will be monitoring the progress
of these proposals carefully.
Construction Masters, Inc. continues
to make good progress on the permanent repairs and
mitigation to the Lions/LSU Clinic Building. New air
handling units have been delivered for both the 2nd
and 6th Floors and the installation process has
begun. Steel girders are being installed to form the
raised pump room floor on the 2nd Floor. The
demolition of the slab located in the front of the
building where the new exterior stairwell will be
constructed is completed and the footings are being
dug and prepared for concrete.
The various summer projects are
moving forward. The demolition on the MEB 2nd Floor
elevator lobby is complete and the framing of new
walls has begun. The new air handling unit is being
installed and connected to new duct work on the
mezzanine of the Residence Hall and a portion of the
exterior wall is being demolished to prepare for the
planned expansion. In MDL #5, the old ceilings,
ducts, black boards, case work and plumbing have
been removed and work on the new rough in plumbing
has started. The crew has also begun framing up a
new partition wall.
On July 7th, we will begin a project
to resurface the elevated bridge between the
Residence Hall and the Medical Education Building.
The work is scheduled to continue until August 8th.
During this time the bridge will be closed to
pedestrian traffic. To minimize the adverse impact,
the 1st Floor entrances to the MEB on the Bolivar
Street side and the South Roman Street side will be
open to all students, faculty and staff through use
of the card access system. All other access will
require going to the Allied Health and Nursing
Building or the University Police station on the
Third Floor of the parking garage.
The project to replace the roof on
the MEB is substantially complete. The roof
replacement project at the Dental School is nearing
completion. Some concerns remain regarding the
potential presence of water beneath portions of the
new roofs at the Dental School. Proposals are being
solicited for more sophisticated testing that will
provide definitive information regarding this
matter. Contracts are being finalized for the
construction of the two small auditoriums at the
Dental School and for the construction/renovation of
lab space on the 6th and 8th Floors in the Dental
The downtown perimeter fencing
project has recently gotten underway. This project
includes the demolition and replacement of existing
chain link fencing for the Residence Hall and
Student Lots 1 & 2. New fencing along prominent
areas will be constructed of masonry and decorative
Here are highlights of work that has
been accomplished since our last update was posted
two weeks ago.
Lions/LSU Clinic Permanent Repairs
- Four new air handling units were delivered
to the site.
- A crane lifted the AHUs onto the 6th
Floor through an opening in the exterior
- Steel beams to be used in constructing the
elevated floor in the mechanical room on the 2nd
Floor were delivered to the site.
- CMI is installing steel beams for the
elevated pump room floor on 2nd Floor.
- 1st Floor – AHU platforms were delivered and
set in place.
- Air handling unit components were delivered
and lifted into the 1st Floor mechanical rooms.
- CMI is assembling and piping in the new
unit in the S. Prieur St. side mechanical
- CMI has formed up the walls in the elevator
pit in preparation for pouring concrete.
- CMI is installing fire retardant blocking
for door frames, hanging sheet rock, and
installing electrical rough in on the 6th Floor.
Repair Work at 1542 Tulane Ave.:
- Elevator Repairs:
- Stratos finished wiring the penthouse
controller for Elevator #7.
- They are installing lighting in the
shaft for Elevator #4.
- The contractor delivered hoist
cables and pit equipment for Elevator
- Terrazzo Floors:
- Premier Source Inc. has detailed the
baseboards on the 5th Floor.
- Premier Source Inc. is honing the
terrazzo flooring on the 4th Floor in the
Tulane Ave. corridor.
- Ceiling Lights:
- Hogue & Associates are removing ballasts
from old light fixtures and is disposing of
the old fixtures.
- The contractor is moving old light
fixtures from the offices and corridors.
- The contractor has disposed of the
old light fixtures from the 6th, 7th,
and 8th Floors.
- Fire Alarm:
- Siemens is installing the duct mounted
smoke detectors in the HVAC ductwork.
- The contractor has painted the ceiling
and walls in the elevator lobby on the 1st
- Crews have painted the corridor walls on
the 1st Floor in the old section of the
building on the I-10 side.
- The contractor painted Room 112; the
- The contractor primed and painted Room
100 and Room 114.
- Access Control:
- Securitas finished installing conduit
and card readers at the loading dock on the
- They are installing conduit and card
readers at other 1st Floor locations.
- The contractor installed conduit for
card readers at the roll-up gate for
Shipping/Receiving and at the side exit
in Stairwell C (middle corridor).
- Securitas is pulling wiring through the
new conduit that has been installed for the
card readers on the 1st Floor.
- Trison Constructors finished sealing the
plaster ceilings in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
Floor elevator lobbies in the old section of
- Zimmer-Eschette is relocating old
furniture and boxes from the offices and
corridors to temporary staging locations in
the old section of the building.
Repair Work at the Dental School:
- Permanent Roof Repairs:
- The wood nailers for the parapet wall
copings have been installed on the Clinic
and Administration Buildings.
- Needham Roofing is waiting for the
metal to install the coping on the
- Needham repaired 4 small vents that were
damaged on the Clinic Building roof.
- They started working on correcting
the minor damages that occurred during
the project; ruts in the grass, damaged
- Terrazzo Honing:
- Premier Source has honed the terrazzo on
the 4th Floor crossover where the temporary
food service is located.
- Premier Source completed honing the
terrazzo on the 2nd Floor of the
Administration Building, the crossovers
connecting the buildings at the 2nd and 3rd
Floors, and the 5th Floor elevator lobby in
the Clinic Building.
- Premier Source Inc. continues to hone
the 6th Floor terrazzo.
MEB 2nd Floor Lobby Renovation:
- Framing for the new wall panels has started
and electrical work is underway.
Residence Hall 2nd Floor
- Zimmer started the exterior balcony
demolition adjacent to the walkway.
- The remaining demolition is on hold
while waiting for the closure of the walkway
at the exterior balcony.
- The installation of the new AHU continues.
- New duct work is being installed and
connected to the air handling unit that has
been installed on the mezzanine.
MEB 4th Floor - MDL #5
- The crews completed the demolition of the
ceiling, lighting, and HVAC grilles.
- The contractor completed demolition of
existing casework and blackboard.
- Plumbing is being demolished and new
plumbing is being roughed in.
- The contractor is framing up the partition
above the ceiling that will assist with noise
MEB Lecture Rooms A & B Renovations:
- Trison continues to remove concrete and has
begun to install the floor duct and seal tight
conduit for the new podium.
MEB Cafeteria Terrazzo Honing:
- The honing of the terrazzo in the cafeteria
has been completed.
Downtown Campus Fence:
- US Fence & Gates removed the existing chain
link fencing enclosing Student Parking Lot #2
along Bolivar Street.
- They are replacing it with new 6-ft black
vinyl coated chain link fence.
We encourage you to follow the
details of our progress through the daily updates
which are posted on the web site.