Smith, Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Recovery – Update #73
Posted: July 18, 2008
The work on the permanent repairs to
the Lions/LSU Clinic Building, including the various
approved mitigation measures, continues to move
forward. The new foundation for the exterior
stairwell has been framed up and is ready to be
poured. New air handling units have been delivered
and installed on the 1st and 6th Floors. Crews
continue to complete portions of the mechanical and
electrical rough in work throughout the 6th Floor
where the new Cohn Learning Center is being
constructed. Dry wall is being hung on the new walls
of the Learning Center. The steel beams that will
support portions of the mechanical and electrical
equipment being elevated to the 2nd Floor have been
Another element of the campus-wide
plan to enhance security has begun. The current
efforts are focused on further securing the access
to the Walk To Wellness at key locations. New glass
storefronts and automatic doors will be installed
and access control devices will limit access to
those with LSUHSC and MCLNO IDs. The installation of
the storefront at the Derbigny St. Parking Lot is
There has been no let up in the
efforts to prepare portions of 1542 Tulane Ave. to
be re-occupied. Repairs to the building elevators
are continuing and the repairs to the building fire
alarm system are nearing completion. Construction of
new lounge areas has begun; the necessary demolition
in selected areas has been completed and the rough
in of the new mechanical and electrical systems has
started. The resurfacing of the terrazzo floors is
nearing completion, most of the new exit signs have
been installed, and the painting crews are winding
up their work. The installation of new access
control devices on the 1st Floor is progressing
well, and new furniture continues to be unpacked and
The project to expand the 2nd Floor
lobby of the Residence Hall continues to progress.
The demolition of the exterior flooring has been
completed. The installation of the new duct work
that connects to the air handling unit installed on
the mezzanine is nearly finished. The re-surfacing
of the elevated walk way connecting the Residence
Hall to the MEB has begun. The center floor drains
have been sealed temporarily and the areas around
the drain have been leveled in preparation for
sloping the surface properly.
Several summer projects in the MEB
are also well underway. The largest project; the
renovations to the 2nd Floor Lobby is progressing.
The demolition has been finished, new walls, fur
downs and fur outs have been framed and dry wall is
being installed. New electrical work is being run
and preparations to allow the installation of new
flooring are about to begin. The 4th Floor ceiling
replacement has started recently as crews remove old
ceiling tile and grid and replace it with the new
materials that were used on the 3rd Floor.
In the MEB Lecture Rooms A & B, the
new duct work and conduit have been installed in the
trenches in the floor and closed over. New
electrical outlets are being installed in the
mezzanine and the projection room. The framing above
the ceiling in MDL #5 has been completed, the
plumbing has been demolished, and the new steel
support for the partition wall has been raised and
an existing steel support is being modified.
US Fence and Gate Co. has already
removed the old chain link fencing surrounding
Student Lots #2 and #3, and the Residence Hall
Parking Lot. New vinyl coated fencing has been
installed, as have the new pedestrian and suspended
gates at the Residence Hall. Work has just started
on preparing for the construction of the decorative
portions of the perimeter fencing.
Work on the Library Commons area on
the 3rd Floor of the Library in the Resource Center
continues with the construction of the bulkhead that
will run the length of the Commons area. Facility
Services are working on the electrical rough-in and
Auxiliaries Network Wiring Group is pulling old
network wiring so that it can be re-run to the new
The duct cleaning initiative has
been completed throughout the Lions/LSU Clinic
Building. Crews have moved to the CSRB and the ducts
on several floors have already been cleaned. The
work continues on the lower floors.
Here are highlights of work that has
been accomplished since our last update was posted
two weeks ago.
Lions/LSU Clinic Permanent Repairs
- CMI has poured the concrete in one elevator
pit preparing it for the mortar to flood-proof
- CMI has framed up the slab that will form
the base of the new exterior stairwell.
- Crews are installing reinforcing wire
and rebar and preparing for the slab to be
- The new air handling units have been piped
in on the 1st and 6th Floors.
- The contractor and subcontractors are
working on the 6th Floor; hanging sheetrock,
floating the sheetrock, and continuing with the
mechanical and electrical rough in.
- The contractor is floating the new sheetrock
on the 7th floor.
- The steel beams to support the electrical
and mechanical equipment have been placed on 2nd
Repair Work at 1542 Tulane Ave.:
- Elevator Repairs:
- Stratos Elevator is removing and
replacing flooded components from Elevator
#4 (freight elevator).
- The hoist cable for Elevator #4 has
- Stratos Elevator replaced the elevator
safeties for Elevator #7.
- Stratos Elevator is replacing the hoist
cables for Elevator #7.
- Terrazzo Floors:
- Premier Source Inc. finished honing the
terrazzo on the 4th Floor in the Tulane Ave.
corridor and the center corridor.
- Premier Source Inc. finished grinding
the terrazzo on the 3rd Floor along Tulane
Avenue and is working along the center
- Ceiling Lights:
- Hogue & Associates finished removing
ballasts from old light fixtures and
disposing of the old fixtures from Floors 4
- Crews finished installing new
single-faced exit signs on Floors 1 through
- Hogue & Associates has installed the new
double-faced exit signs on Floors 1 through
- Fire Alarm:
- The fire alarm contractor finished
installing and programming the duct
detectors, cleared the fire panel trouble
codes, and replaced the smoke detector in
Elevator #1 and the elevator pit.
- The contractor has finished touching up
paint throughout the 7th Floor.
- The contractor finished priming the
stairwell along Tulane Ave. on the Charity
side of the building.
- The painting contractor finished
painting the walls in the stairwell along
Tulane Ave. on the Charity side of the
- Access Control:
- Securitas continues to pull new wiring
through the new conduit that has been
installed for the card readers and cameras
on the 1st Floor.
- The contractor has pulled the wiring for
devices in the old section of the building
and along the center corridor, up to the
Tulane Ave. elevator lobby.
- The contractor has pulled all wiring for
devices in Suite 122.
- Securitas is pulling the wiring for the
new access control devices to the main
network closet on the 2nd Floor.
- The access control contractor completed
pulling wiring on the outer Tulane Ave. side
of the building for the additional devices
that will be installed on the 1st Floor.
- New Furniture:
- Herman Miller Group is installing new
furniture and small file cabinets on various
- The Herman Miller Group is delivering
and installing file cabinets on Floors 5
- Lounge Areas:
- The demolition in the areas designated
to be new lounges has been completed.
- The construction is underway. The
mechanical and electrical rough in work is
- Merit Sprinkler is on site repairing the
dry-pipe sprinkler system piping in the
- Cleaning and polishing of the exterior
doors on the front of the building has been
- Crews are cleaning up the grounds at the
rear of the building and repairs are being
made to the sidewalks.
- The contractor is removing the walk-in
cooler on 4th Floor and is working on the
- Plumbers repaired pipes that serve the
restrooms in the rear (oldest) section of
Walk To Wellness Storefronts:
Another element of the plan to enhance security on
campus is to secure the Walk To Wellness at key
locations. New glass storefronts and automatic doors
will be installed and access control devices will
limit access to those with LSUHSC and MCLNO IDs.
- The contractor began installing side light
glass and the automatic doors at the Derbigny
St. parking lot.
Repair Work at the Dental School:
- Permanent Roof Repairs:
- Needham Roofing sandblasted the roofing
tar from the penthouse walls.
- Needham Roofing completed the
installation of metal flashing caps and
waterproofing on the roof parapet walls of
the Clinic and Administration Buildings.
Library Commons Project:
- Construction of the exterior walls around
the interior staircase is underway.
- Materials for the temporary center handrails
are on order.
- Facility Services electricians continue to
roughing-in the electrical service.
- The new permanent walls and temporary walls
have been erected.
- The contractor began finishing the interior
stair wall and framing the new restroom walls.
- Auxiliary Enterprises is pulling back the
existing network cables; preparing to run them
in new directions to accommodate the renovation.
- Facility Services removed existing conduit
to allow the HVAC ducts to be raised.
MEB 2nd Floor Lobby Renovation:
- The contractor is nearing the completion of
the installation of the fur out that will be
used to attach the sheetrock covering the
existing tile walls.
- The fur down from the ceiling is complete on
the Perdido Street side of the lobby.
- The old tiles have been removed from the
columns and the attached concrete beams.
- Sheetrock was delivered and the electrical
rough-in work continues.
- Framing of the new wall by Medical Center
Stores has begun.
- A temporary reference wall has been
constructed on the Campus Office Stores side of
- Installation of sheet rock on the new walls
and fur outs is underway.
Residence Hall 2nd Floor
- The demolition of the exterior flooring has
- Installation of the new duct work connecting
to the AHU on the mezzanine level is almost
MEB 4th Floor - MDL #5
- The contractor completed framing above the
ceiling and starting the plumbing demolition.
- The contractor is raising the steel support
for a partition, demolishing existing plumbing
and modifying the existing steel support for the
new partition track.
- The new plumbing layout is being verified.
MEB Lecture Rooms A & B Renovations:
- Trison completed installing the floor duct
and conduits in the trench and has refilled the
trench with concrete.
- The contractor completed installing new
electrical outlets in the mezzanine level and
MEB Roof Replacement:
- The installation of the metal capping on the
parapet walls is now complete on the main roof
- The contractor is reworking the pitch pans
under the steel beam supports on the main roof.
Downtown Perimeter Fence Project:
- US Fence & Gate Co removed the chain link
fence from Student Lot #2 along Bertrand Street
and have replaced it with new 6 ft. vinyl-coated
chain link fencing.
- US Fence & Gate Co. removed the chain link
fence from Student Lot #3 along Bertrand Street
and have replaced it with new 6 ft. vinyl-coated
chain link fencing.
- The contractor has removed the chain link
fence along Bolivar Street at the Residence Hall
Parking Lot and has replaced it with new 6 ft.
vinyl-coated chain link fencing.
- The preparation of the foundation for
decorative fence is in progress.
- The contractor finished replacing the chain
link cantilever gates and the pedestrian walk
gates in the Residence Hall Parking Lot.
- The temporary fence has been installed on
the Poydras St. and Perdido St. side of Student
Lots #2 and #3.
- Crews are excavating and chipping out
existing asphalt in Student Lots #2 and #3.
Duct Cleaning Project:
- The duct cleaning is substantially complete
at the Lions/LSU Clinic Building.
- The contractor is completing the punch
list items in the building.
- Duct cleaning has been completed on 7th
Floor of the CSRB.
- Duct cleaning has been completed on 6th
Floor of the CSRB.
- Duct cleaning has been completed on 5th
Floor of the CSRB.
- Work is underway on the 4th Floor.
MEB 4th Floor Ceiling Replacement:
- The old blue lockers have been removed.
- The contractor has begun installing new
ceiling grid in the corridors.
Residence Hall Walkway Resurfacing:
- The contractor filled the center drains and
leveled the area in preparation for sloping the
- RCB Domestic Water Outage:
- The domestic hot and cold water was shut
down in the Resource Center Building. The
plumbers worked on bathroom fixtures on the
5th and 6th Floors of the building and
replaced several shutoff valves.
We encourage you to follow the
details of our progress through the daily updates
which are posted on the web site.