Smith, Vice Chancellor, Administration and Finance
Subject: Hurricane Katrina Recovery – Update #93
Posted: May 22, 2009
The project to replace the
roof of the Resource Center has been successfully
re-bid. The analysis of the bids was completed
recently and the successful bidder; Crown Roofing,
was notified of the award. The administrative work
necessary to execute the contract and issue a Notice
to Proceed is underway at the Office of Facility
Planning and Control. Work ought to begin within the
next four to six weeks.
Clinical faculty and staff
from the Department of Medicine and the Department
of Radiology will begin moving into the Clinical
Education Building next week. The Department of
Medicine will be occupying the 4th Floor while
Radiology will be located on the 3rd Floor. Work is
continuing on the 1st and 2nd Floors in preparation
for the final phase of the re-occupation of the
building. Substantial progress has been made on the
lounges on both floors. Walls have been painted,
fire alarm devices have been installed and floor
coverings have been laid.
The contractor working at
the Lions/LSU Clinic Building is prepared to
transfer all building power over from the old
switchgear on the 1st Floor to the new switchgear
located on the 2nd Floor. This is a critical part of
the plan to protect the building from future flood
events. The transfer will occur during a major power
outage scheduled for the upcoming weekend. The
finish work on the 6th Floor is nearing completion.
We believe that an inspection by the State Fire
Marshal late in May will result in receiving
beneficial occupancy on June 1, 2009. Workers have
been very active in the exterior stairwell;
installing fire alarm devices and ceiling tiles and
completing work on the interior finishes. Crews have
installed and grouted wall tiles and installed
fixtures in the 1st Floor restrooms, painted
interior walls and installed additional ceiling
The contractor and LSUHSC
Facility Services are working through the
outstanding punch list items on the Library Commons
project. Entrance signage has been installed and
repairs to damaged sheet rock have been made. The
transoms over the doors and the door hardware
(knobs, lock sets, etc.) have been installed. The
pipes have been run for the water softener that will
be in use at the coffee kiosk.
The renovations to the
Pharmacology labs in the MEB are nearing completion.
The exhaust duct work has been installed. Wire mold
has been installed throughout the lab area and in
the administrative area. Network cable has been
pulled in the lab area. Work in the MEB 2nd Floor
lobby has largely revolved around the installation
of wood panels around the two restrooms and the
elevators. Renovations to MDL #3 are progressing.
The track that supports the movable partition system
has been raised as necessary. The contractor has
framed up the sound enclosure and is hanging sheet
rock on the enclosure. The plumbers have stubbed up
the plumbing for the new casework.
The new tables have been
installed in Auditoriums A & B at the Dental School.
Carpeting has been laid on the risers and floor of
the Auditoriums and acoustic wall panels have been
installed in Auditorium A. The new air handling
units have been started up and tested. Much of the
electrical work in the network/audio-visual room
(Room 4202B) has been completed. The IT and A/V
racks have been installed and Creative Presentations
has run new wiring to support the state of the art
system that is being installed.
The interior contractor
taped and floated the new drywall throughout the
entire lobby area and on the network closet at the
Student Residence Hall. Pendant light fixtures were
installed in the drop ceiling and ceiling grid
underneath the mezzanine level between the B & C
Tower. Workers installed recessed down light
fixtures in the drop ceiling between the B & C
Towers and can lights in the mezzanine area. Ceiling
tiles have been installed between the B Tower and
the C Tower and floor tiles have been laid in the B
& C Tower lobby area and in front of Elevator C.
The roof replacement
project at the Allied Health/Nursing Building is
moving ahead. The parapet wall cap has been replaced
along the MEB loading dock side of the building, the
Bolivar St. side of the building and the Gravier St.
side of the building. The one-ply roofing sheet was
laid on the parapet wall along the MEB and Bolivar
St sides. Roof drain flashing is in place at all the
roof drains. A leak from the atrium roof damaged
portions of the ceiling and the roofing contractor
has undertaken repairs to address the damage.
The contractor completed
balancing the new MEB roof top air handling units
(RTU) #1 and #2. The pipes and valves were insulated
on both units. Workers cored and installed new
drains in the A and C riser mechanical rooms and
installed the weather-tight NEMA-4 enclosure for the
RTU #2 control panel.
Here are highlights of
work that has been accomplished during the past two
Repair Work at 1542 Tulane
- The contractor primed the walls in Room
112 and the new wall in the 1st Floor lobby
area that leads to the basement.
- The contractor painted the new wall in
the 1st Floor lobby area and the walls in
- Lounge Areas:
- The walls in the 1st Floor lounge were
- Two coats of paint have been applied on
the walls in the 1st Floor lounge.
- The ceiling-mounted speaker/strobe fire
alarm devices for the 1st and 2nd Floor
lounges have been installed.
- The flooring contractor installed VCT in
the 2nd Floor lounge.
- The contractor installed the cabinets in
the 2nd Floor lounge.
- Crews finished installing the cabinets
in the 2nd Floor lounge.
- The carpet for the 2nd Floor lounge was
- Workers installed window blinds in Room
- The ceiling contractor worked on
punch-list items on the 2nd and 3rd Floors.
- Facility Services replaced a fan coil
motor in Room 349.
- Crews wired additional fan coils in 3rd
Floor offices along Tulane Ave.
- LSUHSC Facility Services worked on 4th
Floor fan coils (Room 441).
- The sprinkler contractor worked on the
dry pipe system.
- The contractor installed a door frame in
the 1st Floor lobby.
- LSUHSC Computer Services Networking
Group finished checking the phone lines on
the 4th Floor and continued checking the
phone lines on the 3rd Floor.
- The carpenters continue to laminate the
wooden window sills in 2nd Floor offices
along Tulane Avenue.
LIONS/LSU CLINIC PERMANENT
REPAIRS AND MITIGATION:
- The contractor installed window lights in
the 6th Floor elevator lobby doors.
- Workers installed windows lights in the
new 1st Floor lobby entrance.
- Crews caulked the window jambs of the
new stairwell levels 4 – 6 and waterproofed
the new stairwell base.
- They grouted the restroom walls on the
1st Floor and painted the walls on the CSRB
side of the 1st Floor.
- Crews painted the doorframes on the 1st
Floor and installed ceiling grid in the old
PBX room and the fire command station.
- The contractor cut the tile in the 6th
Floor computer lounge area to accommodate
the new flush mounted floor receptacles and
- Crews installed wall tile on the Bolivar
St. side of the 1st Floor.
- The sheet vinyl flooring in the 6th
Floor simulation rooms was waxed.
- They mudded above and around the doors
and windows of the stairwell on the 5th and
- The contractor aligned the entrance
doors on the Gravier Street side.
- Workers replaced damaged tiles in the
restrooms on the Bolivar St. side on the 6th
- The contractor installed lobby doors on
the Bolivar St. side of the 6th Floor.
- External Stairwell:
- The contractor glazed the exterior
stairwell window jambs at levels 2 – 4.
- Ceiling grid and ceiling tile was
installed on the 6th level.
- Crews installed spandrel glass, break
metal, and granite on the outside of the
exit stairwell door on the 1st Floor.
- Crews built knee walls on the 1st and
2nd levels of the new exterior stairwell.
- The contractor wired and terminated fire
alarm devices on the 5th and 6th level of
the new stairwell and installed the
fireman’s override switch on the 1st Floor
fire command station.
- The electrical contractor pulled wire from
the roof to the fire pump controller.
- They terminated wires for the fire pump
controller and fire pump breaker located on
- Electricians connected the new fire pump
and power conditioner that serves the 3rd
and 4th Floors to the new switchgear.
- Electricians installed LED lights on the
6th Floor at the reception desk and the
- Floor receptacles were installed in the
6th Floor simulation rooms.
- The new phone cables on the 6th Floor
- Workers installed lights in the 6th
Floor stairwell and ran wire to the floor
boxes in the 6th Floor computer lounge.
- They installed an outlet in the old PBX
room and lights in the 1st level of the
- The telephone contractor strapped down
the splice case on the 1st Floor in the old
- The mechanical contractor finished
installing fixtures in the restrooms located on
the Bolivar St. side of the 1st Floor.
- Workers installed the drinking fountain
on the S. Prieur St. side of the 1st Floor
and a sink in Room 155.
LIBRARY COMMONS PROJECT:
- The contractor installed the entrance
- Workers patched the sheetrock underneath the
- The contractor primed the walls underneath
the internal stairwell.
- Door hardware has been installed.
- The contractor installed door transoms.
- LSUHSC Facility Services installed piping
for the kiosk water softener.
MEB PHARMACOLOGY LAB
- The contractor installed wire molding in the
lab area and return air grills in the doors.
- Network wires were pulled in the lab area.
- The contractor continued to install wire
molding in the administrative.
- A crew installed the exhaust ductwork.
MEB 2nd FLOOR LOBBY
- The contractor installed wooden wall panels
near the Men’s and Women’s restrooms.
- The contractor continues installing wooden
wall panels near the elevators.
- The contractor installed the steel track
support for the partition in the storage room
and raised the steel track support for the
- They framed up the support track for the
- Crews installed steel track for the new
partition in Room 4108A.
- They installing framing studs around the
steel track for sound insulation.
- The contractor installed sheetrock
around the steel track for sound insulation.
- Workers stubbed up plumbing for the new
DENTAL AUDITORIUMS A & B
- The contractor roughed-in chilled water
piping for the 2nd Liebert unit in Room 4202B.
- Crews completed the grid and wood trim
installation for the ceiling in Auditorium
- They installed the remaining ceiling
tiles in Auditorium B.
- The new tables have been installed in
Auditorium A and B.
- The door frames have been painted.
- Workers installed acoustical wall panels
in Auditorium A.
- The contractor installed additional
framing in Auditorium A.
- The electrical contractor pulled wiring for
the occupancy sensors in Auditorium A.
- They installed the conduit connections
for the transformers and sub-panel boxes for
- Electricians pulled wiring for the
occupancy sensors in Auditorium B and
installed occupancy sensor devices in both
- The contractor wired the breakers in the
new sub-panels and pulled wires from the new
electrical sub-panels to the lighting
- The new transformers have been wired.
- The main breakers for the new
transformers and sub-panels were installed
- The contractor pulled wires for the
dimmer control boxes in Auditorium B and
installed the dimmer panel for Auditorium A.
- Electricians pulled wired and energized
the emergency panel X4RC.
- The electrical contractor installed the
cable tray above the A/V and networking
racks in Room 4202B and set the junction
boxes for the network and A/V wiring in the
mechanical room between both auditoriums.
- Electricians installed the junction
boxes for the power outlets under the A/V
racks and installed conduit for the Liebert
- The mechanical contractor performed the
start-up of the new auditorium AHUs and
installed wiring for the AHU sensors and
- The flooring contractor installed additional
carpet for the riser seating in Auditorium A.
- Workers installed carpet for two levels
of the riser seating in Auditorium B.
- The flooring contractor installed carpet
on the lower level in Auditorium A and B.
- Creative Presentations ran wiring for the
- The IT and AV racks were installed in
- The contractor pulled wires in the 4th
- The A/V contractor pulled additional
wires from the auditoriums to Room 4208
outside the new rack Room 4202B.
RESIDENCE HALL LOBBY
- The interior contractor taped and floated
the new drywall throughout the entire lobby
- The contractor taped and floated the
walls of the network closet.
- Crews installed pendant light fixtures in
the drop ceiling and ceiling grid underneath the
mezzanine level between the B & C Towers.
- Workers installed recessed down light
fixtures in the drop ceiling between the B &
- The interior contractor roughed in for
the pendant light fixtures in the Perdido
St. and S. Roman St. back corner lobby area.
- They installed can lights in the
- Ceiling tiles were installed between the B
Tower and the C Tower.
- The flooring contractor prepped the floor
for tile installation.
- They installed floor tiles in the B & C
Tower lobby area and in front of Elevator C.
ALLIED HEALTH/NURSING ROOF
- The contractor replaced the parapet wall cap
along the MEB loading dock side.
- The parapet wall cap along Bolivar Street
and Gravier St. was replaced.
- The contractor installed the one-ply roofing
sheet on the parapet wall along the MEB and
Bolivar St sides.
- Workers installed roof drain flashing at all
MEB AIR HANDLING UNIT
- The contractor completed balancing roof top
units (RTU) #1 and #2.
- Workers completed insulating piping on roof
top unit one (RTU #1).
- Crews insulated the valves on RTU #1 and the
piping on RTU #2.
- The contractor cored and installed new
drains in the A and C riser mechanical rooms and
installed the weather-tight NEMA-4 enclosure for
the RTU #2 control panel.
- The contractor continued coring and
installing new drains in the A and C riser
- Facility Services graded the planting beds
at the corner of Perdido St. and S. Roman St.
- Shrubs were planted at the corner of Perdido
St. and S. Roman St.
- Facility Services completed planting and
mulching around the MEB at the corner of Perdido
and S. Roman Streets and mulched planting beds
along Bolivar Street.
We encourage you to follow
the details of our progress through the daily
updates which are posted on the web site.